Week 1 - Sorbetto Top

I spent the first day of 2012 working on the Sorbetto top from Colette Patterns and I'm happy to report that it was a success!


Swiss dot fabric wrinkles easily. This is just from my car ride to get batteries - eep! Still love it though :)
Please ignore my silly attempts at posing for the camera.

The pattern was easy and straightforward. I just had to take it in at the sides a bit to get the fit right. The self-made bias tape, however, left me staring blankly at my sewing handbook for several minutes, followed by a whole lot of dirty words. I don't think I will be as frustrated with it next time now that I understand the process. Sometimes it takes really screwing things up for that light bulb to go off in your head, right? It was pretty time consuming too, even without my mistakes. But it was totally worth it in the end. I love how much more professional it makes my top look! And I was still able to complete the whole thing within a day. This top should only take 3-4 hours if you're using store-bought bias tape.

Fabric - stash from Jo-Ann (Surprise! They had this print in a couple of different colors - definitely a step up from their usual). I think it was around $8 a yard.
Pattern - Sorbetto from Colette Patterns - Free!
Notions - Bias tape maker - $3

Total Cost: About $11? Not bad!

In my next post I will go over some of the things I struggled with and give a few tips that I've learned along the way.


Next week's project will be the blouse version of the Ava from Victory Patterns. Has anyone used their patterns before? I just discovered them last week. So much cute stuff!

Labels: , , ,